Lavette Cephus is a salon owner, mother and champion competition nail artist. Her salon, Beautè Asylum, is located in Toledo, OH. Recently crowned NAILS Magazine's Next Top Nail Artist, Lavette uses her artistry to spread an inspiring message of hope and perseverance to artists and nail fanatics everywhere.
1. Describe the vision of your Trilogy of Beauty presentation. The vision for my Trilogy of Beauty presentation is for it to connect with viewers all over and inspire them to chase their dreams. I want to use this as a platform to let everyone know how important it is not only to have a mentor but to become one. I believe in the beauty of both, and I hope I can inspire a few more people to do the same.
2. How has your mentor guided/inspired you? My mentors have guided and inspired me by listening to me and connecting with me as an individual. They connected my personality, worth and ability, and used their personal guidance to steer me down the correct path.
3. What has been the best advice your mentor has given you? The best advice my mentors have given me is to have fun! Enjoy every moment of creating a work of art that is shared and embraced, thus allowing others to feel that fun energy the moment they lay eyes on your artistry.
4. What has been the most memorable moment in your career thus far? The most memorable moment in my career happened in Long Beach, CA when NAILS Magazine crowned me the Next Top Nail Artist! All of my talent, time and passion were validated in that moment. It was an unforgettable experience that changed my life and career forever!
5. What would be your best piece of advice for future professionals? Inspiration, hope, and perseverance! Reaching out to people who are just starting their journeys is very important to me. I believe heavily in the concept of mentorship, partially because it helped shape my career. My advice to students and grads would be to find a mentor, either someone in the industry or someone who knows a bit about business, to help guide you. It will be challenging starting out, so having someone that is genuinely interested and invested in your success can help you create a strong foundation on which to build your career.