Recently named CND’s 2014 Education Ambassador of the Year, Heather Davis is a mainstay backstage at New York Fashion Week. In addition to creating runway nails for countless designers, including Alexander Wang, Libertine and The Blonds, Heather’s innovative designs have been featured in numerous CND marketing campaigns and high-profile magazines.
Mentors — Amanda Fontanarrosa & Shelena Robinson
1. Describe the vision of your Trilogy of Beauty presentation. Nails are having their moment in the spotlight! Nail artistry has never been so popular – turn to Instagram, YouTube or any other social media platform, and you will see that they are saturated with talented nail professionals sharing their artwork. Nails are the most perfect customizable fashion accessory, and the Trilogy of Beauty Presentation will focus on giving nail artistry the spotlight it deserves.
2. How has your mentor guided/inspired you? My mentors have taught me to listen to others as much as I listen to myself. I have two ears and one mouth, and should use them accordingly. They are passionate about raising standards in this industry–setting the bar so high, but still totally attainable with a little hard work–and working alongside them makes it easy to want to reach that bar. Leading is about the examples you set, not about telling people what to do. My mentors have always set beautiful examples.
3. What has been the best advice your mentor has given you? Trust your instincts, trust your vision, trust yourself. Work hard with integrity, passion, and professionalism. Know your worth. Know that we are privileged that clients allow us to hold their hands. Know that as educators, Nail Pros trust us to guide their careers. When you know it isn’t only about you, a measure of responsibility kicks in that you are compelled to honor. When those you guide are successful, it’s the greatest reward you could have asked for. Satisfaction is endless.
4. What has been the most memorable moment in your career thus far? When I joined the CND team as an educator, I set three goals: to become a member of their Fashion Week team, to get the cover of a CND Look Book and to join Team CND. I met those goals 3 years later, and the realization hit me right here in Chicago, when I saw the cover of the latest CND Look Book from Fashion Week, with my nails on the front of it.
5. What would be your best piece of advice for future professionals? Seek continuing education!!! Without continuing education our industry will eventually die out, and when you think you know everything there is to know, it may be time to find a class. We work in a field that changes constantly, consistently, and we have a modicum of responsibility to keep up with those techniques.