Ashley Craig, a Chicago native who now resides in sunny Florida, first entered the beauty industry because of the birth of her daughter. Now, she is a successful, award winning nail artist. Recently crowned the winner of Oxygen’s “Nail’d It,” Ashley is proof that hard work and dedication pay off.
Mentors — Shelena Robinson & Amanda Fontanarrosa
1. Describe the vision of your Trilogy of Beauty presentation. My inspiration for this presentation was to transform something very literal into an artistic, dynamic piece. My goal was to bring forth a true piece of wearable art with these nails.
2. How has your mentor guided/inspired you? My mentors have guided and inspired me through this industry by sharing their own techniques, talents and visions. Combining their expertise with my own unique perspective has empowered me to create stunning masterpieces that I am proud of every day.
3. What has been the best advice your mentor has given you? See no end in sight. When it comes to nails, we have true artistic freedom and the horizon is endless. No idea is too crazy or too unrealistic. Just go for it.
4. What has been the most memorable moment in your career thus far? Overall, I would say the most satisfying aspect of my career is receiving public recognition for the art form I choose to do every day as my career-–especially winning the first season of “Nail’d It” on Oxygen. It is an honor to compete with the best in the industry, and there is a real satisfaction that comes with others appreciating and celebrating my work.
5. What would be your best piece of advice for futuer professionals? Don’t allow yourself to get stuck in one area of the art form that you are comfortable with. Continue your education so you are able to do everything and offer everything to your clients. Even if you think you know it all, you don’t. Keep growing, keep learning and keep asking questions.