As one of the authors of Aquage’s most recent MUSE and ARIA Collections educational DVDs, Tausha has also graced the pages of HOT & Modern Salon magazines showcasing her editorial work. A nationally recognized, award-winning stylist, Tausha Ostrander possesses the unique ability to create original hair designs that inspire the most seasoned professionals, yet translate easily to the salon.
As a successful salon owner of Serenity Salon & Spa in Lincoln, NE, Tausha’s impeccable craftsmanship, architecturally-inspired creations and attention to detail make her a truly valuable asset to the Aquage creative team. Her discriminating eye and hair color expertise make her a force to be reckoned with. As an educator, her straightforward, yet engaging style give her the ability to communicate well on many professional topics, from in-depth product knowledge to salon promotion and marketing strategies to staff development and motivation.
Mentor — Luis Alvarez
1. Describe your vision of our Trilogy of Beauty presentation. The style I created is about transformation-–showcasing the power of Aquage Working Spray to align and seal the hair fiber, allowing you to transform it into solid shapes and forms. I wanted my design to express the idea that when you open your mind to thinking creatively, anything becomes possible. Marrying the proper professional products with the right tools and techniques allows you to create virtually any shape or texture you can envision-–from salon-friendly looks to a beautiful avant-garde masterpiece.
2. How has your mentor guided/inspired you? Luis has inspired me through his passion for the art of hairdressing and his love of the salon industry. Luis has been doing hair and photography for the beauty industry for many years, yet he continues to be excited about the future of our industry and is always thirsty for new challenges. Luis has inspired me to see each day as an opportunity to create something new. He has taught me by example that successful artists create change and innovation, rather than wait for it to happen around them. This is what keeps your work fresh and relevant and your passion alive.
3. What has been the best advice your mentor has given you? The best advice Luis has given me, is to always be prepared for everything. Never leave your fate to chance, but instead, take your fate into your own hands by practicing and continually expanding your skills, so you are always prepared for what lies ahead. This is what makes the difference between success and failure.
4. What has been the most memorable moment in your career thus far? There have been so many memorable moments in my career and I have been given so many amazing opportunities that it’s difficult to choose just one. But if I had to choose one, it would be having the hair sculpture I designed, photographed on a beautiful dancer from Chicago’s Joffrey Ballet and featured on the cover of Canadian Hairdresser Magazine.
5. What would be your best piece of advice for future professionals? Beauty school is great, but it’s just a stepping stone into the industry. The only way to be successful in the beauty industry is to be open-minded, and most importantly, never stop learning and practice what you learn every day.