Nicole is one of Aquage’s creative new artists featured in the exciting Aquage ARIA DVD collection. This busy 2014 NAHA winner produces Aquage tradeshows and educational events while managing to stay at the top of her game. Nicole possesses the unique ability to create original hair designs that inspire, yet are salon-friendly. Her creative vision is expressed beautifully in her undone-elegant styles. Her charismatic personality and personal integrity ensure you a successful Aquage learning experience.
Mentor — Luis Alvarez
1. Describe the vision of your Trilogy of Beauty presentation. I wanted to create something truly innovative that I had never seen before, anywhere. I wanted to create styles that deliver powerful visual arrest. Where every viewer of these images would stop and be visually inspired by the innovation, the creativity, the craftsmanship and the beauty. I wanted to create art using hair as my medium, weaving hair through shimmering metal mesh to create a cohesive series focused on impactful shapes, intricate textures and balanced forms.
2. How has your mentor guided/inspired you? Luis Alvarez has both guided and inspired me to become the artist I am today. He taught me to embrace failure and use it as a catalyst for developing an arsenal of best practices that have helped hone my skills to achieve new levels of success. Luis has helped make the Aquage team one of the most well-respected and well-trained group of artists in the industry based on these principles. But even more admirable, is his ability to keep us humble as we grow our skills. His own relentless passion for our craft and his ability to provide resources and opportunities to showcase our work, make the late nights and sacrifices well worth it. When I hear stylists at hair shows saying to one another, “That’s an Aquage ‘do, you can spot them from a mile away,” it makes me so proud to wear the team color, blue. I am truly grateful to be part such an amazing, authentic team of artists.
3. What has been the best advice your mentor has given you? The best advice Luis has given me is that achieving a highly advanced skill level can only be accomplished through one’s relentless practice of the basics. In fact, he has used this powerful quote to inspire us: “Hard work will always beat talent when talent refuses to work hard.”
4. What has been the most memorable moment in your career thus far? The most memorable moment in my career thus far was when I heard my name called as the winner of 2014 NAHA student of the year. I felt as if our whole team had won. When all your hard work pays off, it’s an incredible feeling.
5. What would be your best piece of advice for future professionals? The best piece of advice I could give anyone who is new to the industry, would be to keep in mind that this is an industry that is constantly evolving, the only way to keep up is to constantly be learning new things, new techniques and developing your skills. And, surround yourself with people who are doing work you admire.